Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Hobby Shop

My little boy, Maximilian, turns 5 on Saturday. The word from Baby's Mama is he wants, of all possible things, a boomerang.

I figure I could get some shitty plastic, made in China one. That ain't my style. On a side street in Mudville, in an old, brick soap factory is a store. The Time Machine. The first floor is all toys, die cast models, plastic model kits, 1/32 slot car tracks, weird European stuff, R/C airplanes, lead soldiers and more. The second floor is a full floor of scale trains all set up that run. I have not been allowed up there, they only run it once in a while.

I seldom go there, not because of poor selection, but because of AWESOME selection. My palms get sweaty looking at the die cast Cadillacs, scale rally cars and WWII planes. You could drop a fortune in here unrestricted.

I ask the kid at the register, and sure enough, he leads me to a selection of left and right handed boomerangs. All hand made of birch right here in the USA. I picked one up so my hands would be full and browsed around for an hour.

I took some pics of the cool box art on some of the models. If you grew up wasting paper route money on models, you will dig.

A Dave Deal model, I put up the large image so Lunatic could check out the rallymaster and his scowl, mustache and chronograph.









Rupp Snowmobile for Chris R


Make a Model T with an Allison V12


I like the old feel of this art. Mecom was a road race team out of Texas in the 60's. Oil Millionaire owner.


Dragsters on acid




Circle Track racing rules in New England


Gasser for the midwestern boys


more Allison fighter plane engines.


Cougar flopper


Was this a real car back then? I never saw it.


Blitzkreig Boppers




took heavy flak over Dusseldorf


The box art gets your imagination all excited


coolest rally car ever Lancia Stratos with Alitalia piant job, the Martini version is also cool.




STP Turbine car with tractor


aircooled section


I would build this one, then take all the touring stuff off, grind down the paint, mount Fat Boy wheels and a P40 fighter plane paint job.




P47 Thunderbolt


more Allison engines










And the All Important Boomerang!

Later,
Ray in CT

No comments:

The Beer Taps of Knowlegde

Followers

Blog Archive