Wednesday, January 7, 2009

European Allies

Way back in 1999, my pals and I were in Daytona for Bike Week. I really love Bike Week. My Pops had a trailerhome in Port Orange and the trip was always a blast. Mostly because of the timing right at the end of Winter.
So there we were, in Froggy's on Main Street. I saw this dude with some German writing on his shirt and asked him what it was. We talked back and forth with him and his two friends. They were on vacation without bikes, but had some back home.
We eventually ended up at the Pink Pony strip joint and an alliance was formed.

Later that year, Mike Liszewski, Frank Ashley and I shipped our bikes to London, stopped by in Olpe, Germany and spent a good part of a month hanging out with these German counterparts.

Here are a few of the characters we have met over there.

This is Ralf Kansy. He is the first guy I met.

He is a salesman for a plastic injection company. A man about town and very funny. This is in 2007 on his new Yamaha MT01, big V Twin.

This is Rudi Hetzel. We stay in his small hotel/restaurant when we are in town and Ralf is busy.

Rudi let me borrow his Honda Firestorm/Super Hawk 996 to ride the Nurburgring track. That is how these dudes are.

Frank Clement is the most propserous guy in the crew. He runs his Dad's roofing company. He is also an officer in the Schutzenfest Vorstand. The shooting club that is the social power in town.

He hurt his back long ago and rents a VW powered trike when he rides along with us.

Andrea is Ralf's on and off girl. Very fucking cool and pretty.

She can ride all day pillion, drink all night, and only complains when Ralf's eyes wander.

This is our pal Herr Schadeberg. We met him in Cologne at a reataurant trade show. He owns Krombacher Brewery, largetst in Germany. Pretty laid back and friendly for a millionaire.


This is Martin Lutticke. He is the most serious and best rider of the crew. He runs a hotel/restaurant that has been in his family for hundreds of years.

Here Martin kisses his Schwarzer Adler (Black Eagle). I had just returned it undamaged from a month long tour of Europe in 2007. He loaned it to me for a month in Summer. I would take a bullet for any one of these guys.

Sarcassmuss. The German word for sarchastic. That is Oliver Gloekler. Big, funny, ball busting goon. The guy is hilarious and speaks perfect English. He rides hard on a Honda 1100 streetfighter. Almost equal to Martin in riding skill. I think Martin fears death less.


Those are our major German cohorts. Everyday I think about one experience or another I have shared with them. Ralf comes over for Bike Week this February, 10 years of friendship will be celebrated.


No comments:

The Beer Taps of Knowlegde

Followers

Blog Archive