Tuesday, May 3, 2022

The Checkered Flag by Peter Helck

 Here is a long winded story, the kind I try to tell but I get cut off or a loudmouth changes the subject.

About 12 years ago I came across a Texaco artwork of a Texaco station on a mountain curve on a dark and rainy night. The light from the pumps created a shelter against the night.

I liked then atmosphere and, of course, the Texaco. 

I researched the artist and discovered his name. He was a famous advertising illustrator which a strong love for pre WWI race cars. He was an owner of Ol'16, winner of the 1908 Vanderbilt Cup.

A couple years go by and a Kodachrome slide I found at auction had an image of the Locomobile Ol' 16 pulling into a car show in the mid-60s. In the passenger/mechanic seat was Peter Helck himself.


Then I got really excited and read some more about the last glorious years of the Gilded Age, Willy K Vanderbilt and the first American car to defeat the Europeans in the Vanderbilt Cup. The race was beyond prestigious. This might be the most important American race car, ever.

Before Helck owned Ol'16, a Bristol Connecticut millionaire had it. Joeseph Sessions owned the racer from 1914 to 1941. Helck bought it in 1942 and showed it often until he died in 1988. Helk's son had custody until 1997 until the Henry Ford Museum grabbed it. It still runs today.

So anyway, about five years ago at the local auction, a painting by Helck was up for grabs. I was outbid and was sad for a few weeks. 

This past Saturday, the auctioneer mentioned I should stop by as there were some interesting car books available. Today is when I found this.
Ol'16 on the cover and autographed inside by the author/artist. Even had a snapshot of the car tucked inside. An expensive, yet victorious day.

If you are still awake, thanks for watching.


No comments:

The Beer Taps of Knowlegde

Followers