Sunday, May 24, 2009

We Killed Kenny.

It is a known fact that I ride pretty fast on backroads. I really enjoy it. Finding a never before seen, curved up, two lane gets me excited.
Most of the guys I ride with roll hard also. Chet, Todd, Butch and my brother are all dudes I can ride side by side with at any speed and not sweat it.

Saturday morning we had 6 bikes headed up to Worcester, Mass for a show.

We were on RI 94 heading North. A tricky right hander came up on us. I slowed down and banked it into the corner. Butch went grinding by on the left half of the lane, his floorboards shrieking against the pavement.

We both looked at each other yelling as it was a pretty thrilling curve. That's when I saw a gold and white Ultra Classic upside down in my rearview mirror. "SHIT!"

U-turned back and we executed our combat training. Injured dude off the street, bike picked up and moved, good samaritans told to put away the cell phones.



I think Ken was running fifth spot and came in too hot. Locked up the rear brake and then highsided. Al missed the rolling obstacle and, thankfully, there was no oncoming traffic on this deserted back road.



Looked bad for a few seconds as the blood from his gouged eyebrow covered up the damage. After a half hour of mopping up blood and checking things over, Ken felt well enough to ride. His eye stopped bleeding and we headed to a hospital about 10 miles away.



Checked him in, he got some stitches and should be OK. No damage to his brain. Bike is banged up, but ridable. There are a lot of bent parts.



Part of me feels responsible as I was the first bike in line and maybe I was going too fast for Ken. Yet another part feels like it is survival of the fittest on the road. Don't out-ride your abilities. Torn emotions. All parts are glad he is OK and not in a wood box.



We live a dangerous life.

1 comment:

StarWolve said...

Sorry to hear about your friend, but you shouldn't blame yourself too much. Always ride within your own personal limits, despite what the pack is doing. If I tried to keep up with my friend who rides a Buell Firebolt, I'd have been asphault fodder at the first set of twisties! You can always roll on the throttle and catch up in the straight aways! I hope your friend heals up fast, and takes it easy in the corners for a bit! ~StarWolve

The Beer Taps of Knowlegde

Followers

Blog Archive